Monday, July 23, 2012

Titles

You can't have a book without one, right? So you'd think after 25+ years in the business, I would have developed at least a tad bit of talent for them. Uh, no. It's pretty much just courtesy when my editors ask for my input. I'll think until I strain my brain, send them the pathetic few I've come up with, and they say, "Yeah, thanks, but no."

We're at the title-selection phase on the Tuesday Night Margarita Club. I, of course, don't have a clue. On the rare occasion I do think of a title, I don't get attached to it. Except one. The working title for Season for Miracles was Miracle on 3rd or 4th Street. It came from Noelle the cafe angel not being able to remember where the empty house was, so she told Emily it was . . . you get the idea. Loved that title. So did some of the publishing staff. The rest hated it wth a vengeance.

Ah, well . . . sometimes you come up with a winner, and sometimes you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment