Monday, September 10, 2012

New Computer -- Yea! Oh, No!

My two poor old computers, a desk top and a laptop, have been on life support the last few months, so this weekend I bit the bullet and bought a new one. It's another HP -- I think that's all I've ever owned besides a couple of Gateways back in the day -- only it has a honkin' big screen and a numeric keypad.

Now I get the fun of transferring everything over from not just one computer to another, but from two. Pictures, manuscripts, files, etc. -- oh, boy.

The last time I did this, I bought a program guaranteed to make the data transfer for you. I worked and worked. It didn't. It copied everything two or three times. It just stored the info in a place where I couldn't find it for the transfer. Waste of money.

This time I'm going one of two routes: emailing everything to myself, or using the external hard drive. We'll see how it goes . . . and whether I'll have any hair left when I get done.

First, though, I have to get used to the keyboard. I'm not flexible when it comes to keyboards. I can use two without problem: my old desk top and my old laptop. I can't even use Bob's without having to redo everything. Kind of weird considering that keyboards are basically same . . . but so not the same for me. Sigh.

I'm an uncommon person.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I sleep with my IT guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky! Wit all the advances in technology, you'd think someone would have developed a plug and play for computers now -- plug the new one into the old one, and voila, exchange completed. Sigh . . .

      Delete