Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Not Enough Words

By the time this posts, I will be finished with Copper Lake Confidential, my Harlequin Romantic Suspense for next spring, but right now I'm in the final stages. Some call it the black moment -- where everything seems lost or the villain makes his big move or the hero/heroine are in a life-and-death situation.

I call it the word-count count-down. At the moment, I've got approximately 3000 words left before I reach the desired length. Unfortunately, I've got about 6000 words of story left to tell.

You'd think after all these years I'd have a better sense of fitting story into words allotted, but this happens every time. And it's never the other way -- not enough story for the limit. I am almost always over. If you've ever talked to me, this won't be a surprise. Why say in five words what I can say in twenty-five?

I will have figured it out within the next 36 hours. It'll still be a tad long, but I'll keep it to just a tad. I just wish that once a story would pace itself out so that I can avoid the word-count count-down.

No comments:

Post a Comment